Today NEF published a really important piece of research exposing the failure of ‘levelling up’ since the 2019 election. It shows how both income and regional inequality have grown significantly.
Key findings include:
- The incomes of half of families have fallen by an average of £110 a year
- The richest 5% are £3,300 a year richer
- There are 300,000 more people in poverty
- The income gap between UK regions has widened
- Single parents and pensioners have been hit the hardest
Worse still, things look certain to deteriorate further. We need new approaches, starting with a Living Income, which sets an ‘income floor’ that ensures everyone has enough to live on in these challenging times.
Our research has already been reported by the BBC, ITV, GB News, Independent, Daily Mail and Yorkshire Post – but it’s vital that we keep spreading the message so we’ve produced this 60-second video. Please watch and share it with friends, colleagues and family.