Birmingham Council budget and services are being cut to the bone. But our Labour councillors say there is nothing they can do, it’s the government. We say: Yes there is – start a mass public campaign against government cuts to Council services and the NHS. Give a lead to the people of Birmingham to tell government to give us back our funding. This is what you could do, right now:
- Organise a mass petition in shopping centres and workplaces
- Hold major public meetings in the city centre and local areas, with expert speakers and national figures, to explain what is happening
- Create a section of the Council website for the anti-cuts campaign, with sections on specific issues with factsheets, videos etc.
- Create new forums on each issue (e.g. on Children’s Social Care) to enable an ongoing dialogue between service users, campaigners, council workers and the Council
- Support local creatives and youth to make videos, music etc highlighting the issues
- Hold a Save Our Services festival with stalls for every service and every campaign
- Press the Labour Party to produce punchy campaign materials that spell out clearly what a Labour government will do to end austerity and rebuild local Council and NHS services
- Encourage the unions to get fully involved in all these activities
- Urge other Labour councils to join with us
A public campaign led by Labour now is the surest way to ensure a Labour government at the next election.